83.6 Appearances

(a) By Counsel

The filing of an appearance or any signed filing, except a motion under LR 83.2, constitutes an appearance by the attorney who signs it.  Multiple attorneys from the same firm may file appearances in the case and their names shall be entered on the docket.

(b) By Individuals

Pro se parties must appear personally, declaring their pro se status in their initial filing or in a notice of appearance. The words "pro se" shall follow a party's signature on all filings in the same case. A pro se party may not authorize another person who is not a member of the bar of this court to appear on his or her behalf. This includes a spouse or relative and any other party on the same side who is not represented by an attorney.

(c) By Corporations

A corporation, unincorporated association, or trust may not appear in any action or proceeding pro se, except that a trustee who is the sole beneficiary of a trust may represent the trust pro se.

(d) Withdrawals

An attorney may only withdraw from a case by leave of court after the filing of a motion with the clerk’s office if (1) there are any motions pending before the court, (2) the case has been pre-tried, or (3) a trial date has been set. If these circumstances do not exist or, if another attorney from the same law firm, government agency or in-house legal counsel will be continuing to represent the client, an attorney may withdraw by serving a notice of withdrawal on the client and on all other parties and by filing the notice with the clerk's office. When an attorney withdraws from a case and no other appearance is entered, the clerk's office shall notify the party by mail of such withdrawal, and unless the party appears pro se or through counsel by a date set by the court, the court will terminate the case by a dismissal or default judgment. As a condition of withdrawal, the attorney shall notify the clerk's office, in writing, of the client's last known address.

(e) Change of Address

An attorney or pro se party who has appeared before the court on a matter is under a continuing duty to notify the clerk's office of any change of address and telephone number.  Counsel or pro se parties who fail to provide the clerk's office with their current address in accordance with this rule are not entitled to notice.


(§ (d) amended 1/1/97; § (a)(4) added 1/1/98; prior § (a)(4) stricken 1/1/01; § (a)(4) added 1/1/05; § (a)(1)(A) amended and renamed § (a), §§ (a)(2)-(4) omitted 1/1/08; § (c) amended 12/1/09; § (c) amended 12/1/11; § (d) amended 12/1/13)