ECF Filing - General FAQs

The Clerk's Office is fortunate to have an experienced and dedicated staff. While we encourage you to call us if you have questions, we hope you will first take the time to research your inquiry using the various sections of this web site. To expedite your research this section provides answers to those frequently asked questions about the court and its procedures. We hope you find them helpful and informative.

  • How do I update the telephone number associated with my CM/ECF Account?
    Log into CM/ECF. Click Utilities and then Maintain Your Account. Modify your telephone number in the appropriate text box. Click Submit, and then Submit again.
  • How do I update my name, address, or firm name/affiliation?
    Filer Users must notify the court of any change to this information. If you are participating in any active cases in CM/ECF, electronically file a “Notice of Change of Address” in each of those cases. If you are not participating in any active CM/ECF cases, notify the clerk’s office in writing either by first class mail or by e-mail to the ECF Help Desk.
  • I received an order from the court but I do not understand what the judge is saying. Can you explain it to me?
    Court staff is not permitted to give legal advice or to interpret orders issued by the court. If you need clarification as to what an order says or means, you should request clarification in writing with an appropriate filing in the case.
  • How do I update the email addresses associated with my CM/ECF Account?
    Filing users are required to keep the email address where they wish to receive Notices of Electronic Filing current. Log into CM/ECF. Click Utilities and then Maintain Your Account. Once in your account, click the Email Information button. To add, modify or delete primary or secondary email addresses, click the appropriate email address or link in the left pane. Add, change or delete the email in the text box of the right pane as appropriate. Click the Return to Person Information Screen button. Click Submit, and then Submit again.
  • What is an “Endorsed Order”?
    An “Endorsed Order” is an order issued by the court that is a text only entry on the court’s docket; it does not have a PDF document attached to it. The parties still receive notice of such an order through a Notice of Electronic Filing. AP 4.1(b).
  • Are official court transcripts filed in ECF?
    Yes. For more information regarding the court’s policy regarding public access to court transcripts, please visit the "Electronic Access to Court Transcripts" link available in the ECF Reference Materials section of the website.
  • What is the difference between PACER and ECF?
    PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) is the service through which the public can view case dockets and documents. ECF (Electronic Case Files) is the system that allows filing users to submit documents to the court electronically. Users enter their PACER login and password (through the PACER website or the court’s CM/ECF website) to view dockets and documents. Users enter their ECF login and password (through the court’s CM/ECF website) to file documents with the court.
  • Can members of the public view cases and documents in ECF?
    Yes. Members of the public who register for a PACER login and password may view cases and documents in ECF ( Additionally, members of the public may access certain judicial opinions without a login and password and free of charge through the Government Publishing Office's GovInfo system ( GovInfo provides free public access to official publications of all three branches of federal government including written court opinions from selected United States appellate, district, and bankruptcy courts.